Many people like to add plants to their homes, but if you have pets, it’s important to know which plants may be dangerous to your furry family member(s).
Why It’s Important
Plants can give warmth to your space, but not all plants are pet-friendly. Some can be toxic if ingested or cause allergic reactions if a pet has a plant allergy. So, exposure to the wrong plant could put a pet’s health at risk and result in costly vet bills, too.
Since pets can get into virtually everything, it’s a good idea to research prior to bringing a plant (flowering or otherwise) into your home to ensure that they are relatively safe for your pet–and you can also go the extra step to cross check any information you find with your vet.
Keep in mind, too, that according to the ASCPA, even non-toxic plants could result in vomiting and gastrointestinal upset, so take steps to ensure that your pet cannot eat any plants!
Check Out These Resources
Visit our Care Corner web page for links to resources that can help identify which plants are toxic and likely non-toxic for pets generally. And, again if you have specific questions about the toxicity of a plant talk to a licensed veterinarian.
What You Can Do To Help
Phinney’s believes in keeping people and their beloved pets together. We do this by extending a helping hand to pet parents in need when these emergency vet visits become too costly for some to afford. Ways you can help include donating to Phinney’s or volunteering. And, anyone in need of help in caring for their pets can visit our Get Help page for more information.